New event. Flood Warning from 8/17/2021 2:22 PM to 9:00 PM EDT for Delmarva/Southern MD. More information.
Interactive NWS Alert
Radar valid at 900 pm EDT, Aug 17th 2021
...The National Weather Service in Mount Holly NJ has issued a Flood
Warning for the following rivers in Delaware...
Christina River At Coochs Bridge affecting New Castle County.
For the Christina River...including Coochs Bridge...Moderate
flooding is forecast.
206 PM EDT Tue Aug 17 2021
The National Weather Service in Mount Holly has issued a
* Flood Warning for
the Christina River At Coochs Bridge.
* Until this evening.
* At 1:16 PM EDT Tuesday the stage was 8.7 feet.
* Flood stage is 11.0 feet.
* Moderate flooding is forecast.
* Forecast...The river is expected to rise above flood stage this
afternoon, cresting near 12.3 feet. It should then fall back below
flood stage by this evening.
* Impact...At 9.0 feet, Flooding begins in fields and floodplain
adjacent to the river.
* Impact...At 11.0 feet, Flooding begins in the town of Christiana.
East Main Street (Del 7) begins to flood as does Water Street.
Meadow Road near New Castle Airport is subject to flooding.
Barksdale Road near Casho Mill Road is also subject to flooding as
are residential backyards.
* Impact...At 11.5 feet, Portions of Duross Heights near New Castle
Airport begin to flood including Don Avenue. Airport Road at the
New Castle Airport begins to flood as the Christina River backs up
the Nonesuch Creek. Walther Road in the Bear area also floods.
Flooding also occurs around Smalley's Pond Dam in Christiana.
* Impact...At 12.0 feet, Significant flooding occurs on Meadow Road
in Christiana. Roads are closed. Homes are flooded. Salem Church
Road and Reybold Road floods in Christiana also flood and are
subject to closures. Residential backyards can flood in this area.
Flooding also occurs in Newark on West Chestnut Hill Road and
South College Avenue.
* Flood History...This crest compares to a previous crest of 12.2
feet on 08/13/2004.
Fld Observed Forecast
Location Stg Stg Day/Time Crest
Coochs Bridge 11.0 8.7 Tue 1 pm EDT 12.28 3pm Tue
LAT...LON 3964 7578 3970 7578 3965 7570 3968 7565
3968 7557 3959 7569
iNWS is an experimental service intended for NWS core partners,
including emergency managers, community leaders and other government