Wednesday September 4 2019
Hurricane Dorian is maintaining its strength with 105 mph winds. As it runs along Florida, it is edging closer to the Carolina coast. The storm continues to spread the winds over a larger area. The latest guidance suggests the eye may clip Charleston, SC and cross eastern North Carolin. This brings stronger rain, higher waves, and rain farther north. I am working on the local wind and wave forecast maps for my next update.
The northern clouds have reached Ocean City and the beaches up to Delaware will see the effects peak on Friday. This is what we expected, but it might be a little more intense for a few hours there Friday.
Hurricane Dorian Visible Satellite Loop
A Hurricane Warning AND Storm Surge Warning has been expanded to the North Carolina and Virginia border.
A Tropical Storm Watch and Surge Watch is up to Chincotegue, VA. But Ocean City can expect wind gusts to 55 mph and possible tornadoes with outer bands. There maybe an extension of the watches farther north later today.
- A cold front brings us showers today and helps to steer Dorian off the NC coast.
- Hurricane Dorian is a Cat 2 with 105 mph winds
- Hurricane force winds reach 70 miles from the center
- Tropical Storm force winds reach 175 miles from the center
- Track is close to Charleston, SC, may make landfall in NC
- Storm Surge Warning now to NC/VA border.
- Impact for Ocean City on Friday: Wind Gusts to 55 mph
Hurricane Dorian IR Satellite
Hurricane Dorian IR Satellite Loop
SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT: A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for... * North of Port Canaveral FL to the North Carolina/Virginia border * Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds * Neuse and Pamlico Rivers A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for... * North Carolina/Virginia border to Poquoson VA, including Hampton Roads A Hurricane Warning is in effect for... * North of Savannah River to the North Carolina/Virginia border * Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds A Hurricane Watch is in effect for... * North of Ponte Vedra Beach FL to Savannah River A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for... * Volusia/Brevard County FL line to Savannah River A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for... * The North Carolina/Virginia border to Chincoteague VA * Chesapeake Bay from Smith Point southward Morning Local Wind And Wave Maps
- The slower movement has delayed this until later on Friday.
- Hurricane Dorian should move away from North Carolina, but make its closest pass to Ocean City, MD on Friday evening
- Winds: Initially it will push from the south, but change to the north as the storm gets closer. This will help lower water out of the Bay, but hammer beaches.
- Tropical Storm winds with gusts to 55 mph for Ocean City
Wave Heights Friday Night
Keep In Touch Every Day
Just in case you don’t get all posts on your social media feed, stay up to date with the latest info…
Click here to sign up for email alerts…. Be the first to hear any new weather
Thank you to our Title Sponsor for Maryland Trek 6
Shining on with Smyth and their contribution, our team has raised over $95,000 for Just In Power Kids to provide free programs for kids in and post cancer treatment.
Please share your thoughts, best weather pics/video, or just keep in touch via social media
Maryland Trek Cycle Jerseys From Hill Killer
All proceeds will go to the Maryland Trek 6 total and Just In Power Kids programs
Just In Power Kids:
Proceeds go to our programs Providing FREE holistic care for kids in cancer treatment and up to 5 years post treatment and caregivers.
Proceeds from all sales go to Just In Power Kids. Click the image to shop and show your support.
Love Maryland Shirts and Hoodies
This shirt was designed by my ‘bonus’ daughter Jaiden. The hoodie has been the biggest hit, so our promotion has been extended until the end of this week.
Show your love for Maryland and make this 14 year old artist and her mom extra proud