Friday May 12 – Extremes breed extremes. It’s something I’ve been saying for decades since I was in school myself and teaching college students. When we have a pattern that is on one side of ‘average’ we can almost always expect a nearly equal and opposite force within a week or two. Well, rain and temps in the 40s and 50s will be replaced by summer heat and a run for 90ºF. Before we get to that, we have more rain to time out and Mothers Day around the corner.
The short story about the rain is that the storm is moving in faster, but will linger on the north side Saturday afternoon. Here are the bullet points, followed by the timeline maps below:
- This afternoon and evening may bring rouge showers
- Tonight steady rain reaches our area.
- Overnight and Saturday morning will show the heaviest rain. The bulk will be between 2 AM and 10 AM.
- Saturday afternoon: Lingering showers, especially north of Rt 50 in MD to Southern PA and DE.
- Mother’s Day will be sunny and mild. More afternoon clouds will mix in north of Baltimore. Highs between 65ºF and 70ºF
—> slider: Storm Track
Here is the bulk of the rain to our southwest, but some showers will spread out ahead of the main event.
—> slider: Radar Simulation
Once the storm clears, the pattern will abruptly shift. Temps will jump to the upper 80s and near 90ºF by the end of next week
Maryland Trek 2017
Be part of my 4th annual hike and bike across Maryland this August. See my trek page and sign up for information to do one day, the whole week, or even sponsor this great event.
Milestones this year:
- I will do my 1000th mile
- We aim to reach $100,000 for Cool Kids Campaign
Get the award winning Kid Weather App I made with my oldest son and support our love for science, weather, and technology. Our 3 year anniversary of the release and our contribution to STEM education is this November. It has been downloaded in 60 countries, and works in both temperature scales. With your support we can expand on the fun introduction to science and real weather.
Please share your thoughts, best weather pics/video, or just keep in touch via social media
Faith in the Flakes
The store is closing for the season. Next week we wil be shifting back to spring mode. This will include a severe weather STEM assembly program.