Friday June 3 2016 – After crawling along the southeast cost for nearly a week, Bonnie has built back up to a tropical storm. It was briefly a tropical storm last weekend and made landfall just east of Charleston, SC. The warm water of the gulf stream and pushing away from the drying influence of the land, this storm has redeveloped its circulation with winds at 40 mph. If anything this is academic and makes for great conversation for those vacationing in Ocean City. Just point east and say, “There’s a tropical storm out there”. It might explain the some higher waves and rip currents along the shore, but the storm itself if moving away.
Also keeping the National Hurricane Center active is Invest 93 moving westward in the Caribbean Sea towards the Yucatan Peninsula Mexico. This is has a 30% chance of developing into a tropical storm in the next 48 hours, but up 70% chance over the next five days. This system itself will curve from those winds and cross Florida next week.
SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION ---------------------------------------------- LOCATION...35.9N 70.5W ABOUT 285 MI E OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA ABOUT 410 MI NW OF BERMUDA MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...40 MPH PRESENT MOVEMENT...E OR 90 DEGREES AT 13 MPH MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1006 MB...29.71 INCHES
The Infrared Satellite shows the circulation, but honestly the cloud tops from the storms in Virginia looked more impressive this evening.